Is there WinXP freeware to download a utube video to hard disk?
Jim Jones
2008-01-08 09:19:46 UTC
What's the best WinXP freeware method for downloading utube videos to disk?
David Harper
2008-01-08 12:35:55 UTC
http://www.techcrunch.com/get-youtube-movie/

- David Harper
Mister2u
2008-01-08 15:09:37 UTC
Post by David Harper
Post by Jim Jones
What's the best WinXP freeware method for downloading utube videos to disk?
http://www.techcrunch.com/get-youtube-movie/
- David Harper
Thanks for mentioning that www.vixy.net www.kissyoutube.com or any of
the other
online downloaders haven't been working for a while.Anyone else notice?
g***@net-switch.com
2008-01-08 21:51:03 UTC
Free YouTube Download
http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-Download.htm

Free YouTube to iPod and PSP Converter
http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-to-iPod-Converter.htm
Frank Bohan
2008-01-09 20:58:50 UTC
Post by Jim Jones
What's the best WinXP freeware method for downloading utube videos to disk?
I use Free Download Manager, which has a function for downloading from
YouTube. It can also convert the videos to other formats.
Free Download Manager http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

===

Frank Bohan
ΒΆ How do you know when it's time to tune your bagpipes?
Keith
2008-01-08 15:43:56 UTC
Post by Jim Jones
What's the best WinXP freeware method for downloading utube videos to disk?
If you use FireFox, you could get the "DownloadHelper" Add-on.

Keith
Jim Jones
2008-01-08 16:21:51 UTC
Post by Keith
Post by Jim Jones
What's the best WinXP freeware method for downloading utube videos to disk?
If you use FireFox, you could get the "DownloadHelper" Add-on.
Hi Keith,
Thank you.
This Firefox "DownloadHelper" extension seems to work most of the time.
The online YouTube downloader was even more flaky so this is what I
recommend - but neither worked 100% of the time in my initial tests.

Here is what I did
- I installed DownloadHelper & rebooting Firefox.
- I located a YouTube video of interest & played it to completion.
- Once played to completion, I right clicked on the web page.
- This brought up a menu with DownloadHelper on it.
- On the bottom of the menu was a file name (e.g., file-abcdefg.flv).
- There was also another file name (e.g., wfile-abcdefg.flv).
- I wasn't sure why there were two files so I saved them both.
- They both seemed to be the same 20Kbyte file.

Once I had the FLV file, I played it on WinXP:
- First I tried using VLC freeware player
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/vlc.cfm
- But then I used the much better Media Player Classic with the FLV codec
(k-lite codec pack full).

Once I had played the FLV file, I converted it on Winxp to Mpeg using Super
freeware (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/SUPER_1).

Now I have an MPEG4 file.

Does anyone know how to convert that MPEG4 file to DVD?
Will DVDFlick freeware convert MPG4 to dvd?

I'll try that next unless you have a better idea.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim Jones
2008-01-08 16:44:10 UTC
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 08:21:51 -0800, Jim Jones wrote:
Keith suggested the Firefox plugin "downloadhelper" which works nicely most
of the time to download the YouTube videos I wanted to convert to DVD.

Here is the URL for the downloadhelper extension
http://www.downloadhelper.net/install.php

One question:
I was writing up a tutorial to help others based on the help I got from
you folks but I don't know where to just download the helper extension.

That is, can we download the extension to our our disks and then install or
must we install only?

Does this question make sense?
I want to put into a directory all the files that made this work but I
can't seem to find the file DownloadHelper cuz it installed itself.

Sigh.
2008-01-08 17:22:36 UTC
Post by Jim Jones
That is, can we download the extension to our our disks and then install or
must we install only?
You can always download an extension to your hard drive. Right-click
and select "save as" and save it somewhere. Then when you are ready to
install it, open the file from within Firefox, and it will install it.
--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Jim Jones
2008-01-09 03:11:34 UTC
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 09:22:36 -0800, Melinda Meahan wrote>
Right-click and select "save as" and save it somewhere
open the file from within Firefox, and it will install it.
Thanks
It worked like a charm!
Right clicking saved an "xpi" file for the Download extension.
I was able to convert the YouTube videos to a DVD.

- The Firefox extension saved the YouTube videos as FLV files
- Super freeware converted the FLV files to DivX AVI/MP3 files
- DVDFlick freeware converted the AVI files to DVD
- ImgBurn freeware burned the DVD image to a DVD disc

Voila! YouTube-to-DVD in 4 easy steps!
What could be simpler!

Jim Jones
Jim Jones
2008-01-08 16:45:15 UTC
Post by Jim Jones
Does anyone know how to convert that MPEG4 file to DVD?
Will DVDFlick freeware convert MPG4 to dvd?
I'm trying to write up a freeware tutorial for ya (and myself) that starts
with a YouTube video and ends up with a DVD.

What do you suggest for flv-to-DVD freeware?
Jim Jones
2008-01-09 03:15:53 UTC
Post by Jim Jones
What do you suggest for flv-to-DVD freeware?
It turned out that Super is a fantastic freeware program for converting
formats! http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Super easily converted the FLV file to a DivX compliant AVI with MP3 audio
encoding which DVDFlick freeware converted to a DVD image on the hard disk
which ImgBurn freeware burned to a DVD disc.

Step 1: Save YouTube video to FLV on the hard disk
Step 2: Convert FLV to AVI using Super freeware
Step 3: Convert AVI to DVD on the hard disk using DVDFlick freeware
Step 4: Burn DVD image on hard disk to DVD disc using ImgBurn freeware

Four easy steps.
I'll dig a bit to see if I can skip step 2 above and let you know.

Jim
Tarkus
2008-01-08 17:34:36 UTC
Post by Jim Jones
- First I tried using VLC freeware player
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/vlc.cfm
- But then I used the much better Media Player Classic with the FLV codec
(k-lite codec pack full).
If you have RealPlayer installed, it will also play them.
Post by Jim Jones
Once I had played the FLV file, I converted it on Winxp to Mpeg using Super
freeware (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/SUPER_1).
Now I have an MPEG4 file.
Does anyone know how to convert that MPEG4 file to DVD?
Will DVDFlick freeware convert MPG4 to dvd?
I'll try that next unless you have a better idea.
A better idea would be to try to find a straight conversion, since every
time you convert, you're losing more data, since both MPEG4 and MPEG2
(used on DVDs) use lossy compression.

I haven't researched it, but I would think there would be an FLV to VOB
converter, given how popular YouTube is these days. Then it would be a
a matter of authoring that VOB to DVD (requiring no more compression).

There may be an even shorter cut than that.
sandy58
2008-01-09 09:17:07 UTC
Post by Jim Jones
Post by Keith
Post by Jim Jones
[...]
Have a look here, Jim. Repost with request if any. :-)
http://www.alloksoft.com/mpeg4_converter.htm
2008-01-08 17:20:46 UTC
Post by Jim Jones
What's the best WinXP freeware method for downloading utube videos to disk?
The one I'm sticking with for now is UltraGet Video Downloader,
www.ultraget.com, because it seems to have the fewest problems for me.
That doesn't mean there isn't anything better, though.
--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Tarkus
2008-01-08 17:28:06 UTC
Post by Jim Jones
What's the best WinXP freeware method for downloading utube videos to disk?
Both RealPlayer and the Firefox DownloadHelper extension do a great job.
I prefer the latter, but the former should work for you if you're not
using Firefox.
Jim Jones
2008-01-09 03:24:08 UTC
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm
Hi Allan Higdon,
This is great if it works!

The FreeDownloadManger freeware program says it converts the YouTube video
directly to AVI without the intermediate FLV step in between. That will
chop out a step.

The freeware tutorial to convert YouTube to DVD would then simply be:

1. Download the YouTube video to AVI on your hard disk
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm

2. Convert a set of these AVIs to DVD files on your hard disk:
http://www.dvdflick.net/

3. Burn the resultant DVD image on hard disk to a DVD disc:
http://www.imgburn.com/

This is about as simple as I can get this tutorial.
If anyone knows how to convert the YouTube video directly to DVD VIDEO_TS
VOB & IFO files, please let us know so we can skip step 2 above.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Jones
2008-01-09 04:05:40 UTC
Thanks to everyone, here is a freeware tutorial to convert YouTube videos
to DVD disc on Windows XP.

YouTube2DVD (please improve)

1. Download any desired YouTube videos to AVI on your hard disk
http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-Download.htm

Note: Other suggested YouTube video downloaders are:

http://www.ultraget.com

2. Convert a set of these AVIs to DVD files on your hard disk:
http://www.dvdflick.net/

Note: If you downloaded the YouTube video to FLV, you can play FLV
using:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm
plus http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
Or
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/vlc.cfm

Note: You can convert FLV files to almost any desired format using:

http://www.imgburn.com/
DrumStick
2008-01-09 06:04:18 UTC
Post by Jim Jones
What's the best WinXP freeware method for downloading utube videos to disk?
I may be late to the game and perhaps it isn't exactly what you're
looking for but I've been playing with Miro and it will download videos
from literally anywhere I've found them and save them to harddrive. I
don't see where it converts but it does allow you to search for videos
on the net.

It is open source.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.getmiro.com/

Drum--
Jim Jones
2008-01-10 04:09:41 UTC
How could anyone find a 250Kb/s 320x240 flv file converted a zillion times
already, then converted back to mpeg2 for a 720x480 DVD even remotely
watcheable?
Hi Jim,
I can see your point. If fidelity was what we were looking for, it wouldn't
make sense. But, what we're looking for is "watchability".

My Mom, who is in her late 80s, wanted to see a TV show on her TV.
The show aired in December of last year.
I found the show as a torrent but could not download due to no seeds.
I then found the show, in bits and pieces, on YouTube.
But, my Mom doesn't have Internet access.
She does have a combination DVD player TV we bought her a few years ago.
So ... it should be obvious now ... by converting YouTube to DVD, she can
now watch the TV show on her TV.

Do you know of any other way for her to watch a TV show that is long gone
on her TV?

If you do, please let me know as this method is the best I could come up
with but I'm no genius. I just asked you guys for help, that's all.

Jim
Zaphod
2008-01-10 03:26:31 UTC
Post by Jim Jones
What's the best WinXP freeware method for downloading utube videos to disk?
I notice no one mentioned Unplug
have been using it for some time and has always worked on youtube
brilliantly ... it puts an icon next to the search bar in Firefox
which you click once you have watched the video it then saves the
cached copy to the location on you HDD of your choice. you can
download flv player to play the video as well.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/UnPlug.shtml
Jan Alter
2008-01-13 19:22:26 UTC
I installed the
http://www.downloadhelper.net/install.php plugin

for Firefox

downloaded and installed

the Super video converter at

http://www.videohelp.com:80/tools/SUPER_1

and found the movement from download of the flv file to mpg4 smooth and
gratifying.

Thanks.
--
Jan Alter